Saturday 29 March 2014

Makin' an Aiken

Pattern: Aiken by Andi Satterlund
Size: M
Yarn: Patons Colour Works Aran




Andi Satterlund designs the most fantastic patterns. All really cute, classic, 50's-esque and lovely to make, too. I'm a big fan of the Miette cardi (and Chuck, although sadly mine never gets worn due to bad yarn choice), and so knew I would get on well with Aiken. On a side note, I was convinced I had blogged not one, but two Miettes but it seems I haven't! That will have to be next.

There's not a lot to say about this make. The pattern was really easy to follow, even the fabulous lace insert which was the fun part. It didn't take long and was definitely simple enough to do in front of the telly.
I finished it in our beautiful holiday cottage in Scotland whilst relaxing with Edinburgh Raspberry Gin (booze discovery of the year, for sure!).


I used the fabulous Colour Works Aran from Patons (on sale - hurrah!) which stripes as you knit (cheating stripes - ha!) and has enough wool (25%) to be warm and shape well, but not so much that it's itchy. In fact, layered over a vest top, it just feels lovely and soft. It comes in a great selection of colours so it was hard to choose, but I realised this one would go rather well with a skirt I had made and not really formed an outfit around yet. A little bit of geek for those who like yarns and spinning, this is a tubular yarn, so is lightweight despite being aran, and should spring back in to shape. We'll see how the waistband is doing after a day of wear.


You can just about make out in the picture below that the v-lace pattern is also on the back. Nice touch. You can also see a nice line where my top is tucked in to my skirt. I'm nothing if not classy.



The skirt is actually a New Look 6912. I decided to make a jersey version as it's quite a close-fitting pattern and I always worried I would split my original version just by sitting down! However, once I'd made the dress, I didn't like the top part, so removed it and accidentally ended up with what has become a favourite skirt! Of course I love the teal, and I also like that it's edging towards pencil skirt territory but not in a scary "look at my thighs!" way. I love the little bow at the waist, although it does cause problems with coats. Meh, you can't have it all!



No comments:

Post a Comment