Monday 15 October 2012

A blaze(r) of glory?

Pattern: New Look 6035
Option A





















Size: 12

Fabric: Grey pinstripe wool from Mason's


I've been lusting after grey blazers for what seems like forever but every time I try one on it either fits really badly or is sadly outside my price range. Last time I found one I really liked, Big Minx said to me "Yes, it's nice. Now go and make one like it". A good point well made.

I liked the look of this pattern as it's unlined and I felt like being a bit lazy. Interestingly, however, I think unlined is harder than lined! It means a lot of faffing around with attaching facings and making seams neat. There are no instructions on finishing seams but I couldn't just leave them scraggly, so did false French seams. If I had thought about it at the beginning I would have done proper French seams as false ones are actually harder work. I'm pleased with the finish though as it's the first time I've bothered with proper finishing.

As with the first jacket I made, I didn't make a muslin which was silly. In my head it was all quite simple and I could try it on as I go along. Which I did and as I was trying it on, I worried it was going to be too small. And then it ended up too big. ARGH!! I wonder if jackets will always be my nemesis or if I just buck up my ideas and do a muslin, I could get it right?

I wonder if I should unpick this and try to get a better fit as I suspect it will be relegated to the pile of things that I'll just fuss with every once in a while and decide I can't possibly wear. Anyone fancy altering it for me? I hate having to revisit something once I thought it was finished!

Here it is, photo taken by our home for the past four days, the lovely boat Sonia near Llangrannog in west Wales.


No comments:

Post a Comment