Monday 11 June 2012

Pockets and buttonholes

Pattern: Kwik Sew KS3874

KS 3874 Misses' Romper & Dress   KwikSew Pattern


Fabric: Strawberry cotton from Ditto Fabrics
Peplum blouse?

Size: 14

I was so revved up from the success of the 'peacock' dress, I couldn't wait to crack on with my next project. I chose this very cute onesy (or playsuit, to give its official name) in a rather retro strawberry fabric. I wanted something gorgeous and girly but kind of practical to wear on those hot summer days. That we had for one weekend and possibly will never see again. I made this extremely summery garment against a backdrop of torrential rain and gale-force winds!

I loved making this. The Kwik Sew patterns come on a sturdier paper than the usual tissue paper offerings of most companies, and it made cutting out the pattern and fabric much easier. Perhaps it was the pattern, or the nice sturdy cotton fabric, or my new-found enthusiasm, but this came together really quickly and without any major mishaps.

I made two amusing discoveries along the way.
1. I had been dreading making the pockets. It seemed like it must be some impossible magical task that only pixies of the highest order could perform. Actually, it was really easy and it's so much fun having little pockets in my onesy, although because of the busy fabric they're not that obvious.
2. I had been really looking forward to buttonholes. After all, the sewing machine pretty much does it for you, right? Hmmm...I did a few practice runs and they were messy to say the least. I considered giving up and using poppers instead but didn't want to have a buttonhole-shaped albatross hanging over me so then decided I just had to get on with it. I started at the top with a couple of pretty ropey ones, but by the end (6 in total) they were looking reasonably respectable. Definitely a case of practice makes perfect.

I loved the experience of making my onesy and there's only one thing I would change if I made another which is to make the back longer, as it falls below my bra line so i'll need to wear a top underneath it. Also, (I know I said one and this is now number two) I wonder if I should have made a size smaller as I needed to take the top in quite a bit. I took it in during the process but then also tried on the 'finished' garment and found it hung away from me rather a lot, so I did a cunning fold at the back to bring it in more.

Big Minx is in New York right now so I have nobody to photograph me, hence the not very inspiring picture below. I'll add more when I've had a change for a proper shoot.

I'll definitely be wearing this as soon as that pesky sun comes out again!

Photo updates frolicking at Basildon House.


No comments:

Post a Comment